Q. Can I use OverDrive without an app or software?
Most OverDrive items can be used without installing an app or other software on your computer or device. Simply use an up-to-date browser like Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Safari to access items using OverDrive Read or OverDrive Listen.
OverDrive Read is a browser-based eBook reader that works on most computers, tablets, and mobile devices running web browsers with HTML5 support. OverDrive Listen is a streaming audiobook player that works on computers and mobile devices with compatible web browsers. eBooks can be downloaded for offline use; audiobooks require a constant internet connection.
Use OverDrive without an app:
- Go to OverDrive and find a title. Click to search by title, author or topic. Click Subjects or Collections to browse (first click if needed).
- Check the banner above the item cover to see if it's available.
- Check the label below the item to see its type: eBook or Audiobook.
- For more details or a preview sample, click the item cover.
- Click Borrow. If the item has a wait list, you can place a hold. Tip: you can have 10 checkouts and 25 holds in OverDrive at a time.
- The Borrow button becomes Read / Listen Now. If you do not see this, click to go to your Loans, locate the item and click the button next to the title to view it.
- For all items, pick up where you left off any time before the item expires by returning to your OverDrive Loans and clicking the button again.
Tip: Find Specific Formats:
Not all items are available in all formats due to publisher restrictions. After searching or choosing a Collection or Subject, use filters to narrow your search (on the left on large screens, at the top on devices). When you click a format, your results will update to show only those formats.
You can also use the Advanced Search. Under All Formats, choose the format you want. Make other selections if desired and click Search.