Q. What is automatic hold checkout in OverDrive?
In OverDrive, the default setting for your holds is automatic checkout. When auto-checkout is ON: When a hold is available, it checks out to you, moving from your Holds to your Loans. You get an email letting you know it's ready.
- You can skip the extra step of checking it out manually.
- You don't risk losing the hold if you miss the 72-hour window.
When auto-checkout is OFF: You receive an email alerting you that the hold is available. You have 72 hours from the time the email is sent to officially borrow the item or to cancel the hold. If you miss this window, you lose the hold.
- This is useful if you want to delay your start time (because you're reading something else, too busy, or whatever!)
To check or change the automatic checkout setting:
- Sign in to OverDrive.
- Click My Account. If you don't see My Account, first select .
- Click Settings.
- Under General, look at the circle by Automatic hold checkout. The checkmark indicates that it is On. If desired, click the checkmark to turn it Off:
Please note: This setting applies to all current and future holds. You cannot adjust this setting on an item-by-item basis.